As a health-care analyst for the trust’s Smart Chicago Collaborative civic technology affiliate, I write about health issues in Chicago neighborhoods. I also consult on content strategy and data visualization for its Chicago Health Atlas website, participate in the Chi Hack Night civic data projects and document technology events in the Knight Community Information Challenge.
- Among EVA successes:
- Social-media campaigns build political support for a Polish Triangle gateway development.
- Maps show the nature of neighborhood crime.
The monthly e-mail newsletter has a consistent open rate of 40% to 50%. EVA’s social media presence extends to Twitter events feed, a Flipboard magazine, public discussion groups on Everyblock and Yahoo! and a private NextDoor group, plus event videos on YouTube. The website was launched in 2007 to supplement a printed newsletter. The current Constant Comment newsletter consistently draws a 40% open rate.
The Smart Chicago Collaborative convened 250 people “using data to improve the lives of regular residents.” I produced social media, audio and photography documenting the event.
Tech workers meet up for social issues (Rivet News Radio)
• Finding the right media to solve problems and earn loyalty.
• Writing to synthesize facts, reach new audiences and prompt action.
• Editing for readability, accuracy and a consistent, engaging tone.
• Mobile, customized design, focused on core messages.
• SEO and site structure audits to optimize content and workflow.
• Attractive, persuasive ecommerce product pages.
• Data collection, analysis and visualization to understand buyers.
• Competitive analysis, use cases, specifications to define project.
• Training materials, presentations and technical documentation.
• Consultant: Chicago Community Trust, Healthcare Financial Management Association, Northwestern University, One Technologies, Rowman & Littlefield, Tribune Newspapers
• Rivet News Radio: Financial editor, multimedia producer
• Chicago Tribune: Digital editor, financial product manager
• Tribune Media Group: Digital analyst, product development
• Tribune Technology: Project manager, technical producer
• Financial, risk management, legal and real estate services
• Health care, educational institutions and member associations
• Automotive, engineering and technology products
Information can spark action or indecision. Team conflict can be creative or destructive. By organizing and clarifying issues in digital communications, I successfully lead audiences & stakeholders in growing mobile operations to productive action.
I’ve coached staff, vendors & freelancers for best use of their skills; analyzed audience behavior to guide content strategy, served as troubleshooter on performance issues, kept teams updated & documented their success. I’ve crafted communication strategies for nonprofit groups, taught a college course & served as elected officer of a national nonprofit group.
I’m comfortable working across teams to create, scale & advocate new products. Let’s figure out the next one.
–Steve Rynkiewicz (Rin-KEV-itch)
What’s the answer to a hotline gone cold? It called for a relaunch of the Society of Professional Journalists’ Chicago chapter website devoted to ethics advice. Ethics AdviceLine for Journalists earned the 2014 Sigma Delta Chi award and the Peter Lisagor award for online column writing.
I jump-started a dormant project to convert an ineffective online brochure into a destination for reporters with ethical dilemmas. I chartered a project to make case studies available as an education resource, and worked Northwestern University to digitize files and make them available for training and research.
For the website I created a site taxonomy and interactive elements, customized templates, trained volunteers in online contact forms and resolved switchover issues.
For the 2014 “digitally remastered” relaunch, I determined must-haves to adapt a news design to e-commerce for the Tribune’s automotive, real estate and recruitment sections.
I broke down rebuilding tasks; programmed, tested and documented the new design, planned the site migration, presented the resdesign to the sales teams and advised them on how to migrate their search and display campaigns.